Tuesday, April 30, 2013

'My nose and lip were hanging off': Teenager describes moment she was attacked by a dog that left her with horrific facial injuries

UNITED KINGDOM -- A teenager has described the terrifying moment her face was ripped apart by a dog, leaving her with permanent injuries.

Chloe Walker, 16, was visiting a friend's house in Shaw, Oldham, when she was attacked by the animal - a Japanese Akita crossed with a Rottweiler.


 
She said: 'When we got to the house I sat on one of the chairs in the living room but my friend and her grandma told me to move because that was the dog's chair.

'The dog started licking my face, and it made me feel uncomfortable so I tried to move away, but as I moved it attacked.

'The next thing I knew I was outside the house with blood gushing from my face. My nose and lip were hanging off and I could hardly see.'

Chloe was rushed to hospital and has undergone two operations and required more than 100 stitches to repair her injuries.

The dog attacked her so viciously her tear duct was torn out, her cheekbone was fractured, her nose ripped out of place and her lips torn to shreds.

Chloe added: 'My cheekbone will always be fractured - they can't fix that unless I have major surgery.

'Because my tear ducts were ripped out I have to have a glass tube inside my eye that filters my tears. The doctors had to sew my nose back on and sew my lips back together, and I've got a really deep scar on my face. It still hasn't healed, 18 months later.'

Chloe and her parents contacted the police, but were shocked to discover no action could be taken against the owners of the dog because the incident happened on private property.

It is understood the dog was put down following the attack in August 2011.

Chloe is now urging the Government to go ahead with plans for a change in the law.

Last month, 14-year-old Jade Lomas-Anderson was mauled to death by a pack of dogs at a house in Atherton, Greater Manchester.

Greater Manchester Police, who are investigating Jade's death, have said it is 'unlikely' anyone will be prosecuted over Jade's death.

They are unable to take action because the dogs involved were not banned breeds and under current laws dog owners cannot be prosecuted if attacks take place on private property.

But Jade's family have launched an e-petition calling for a change to the law and her death has prompted MPs to call for urgent reform of dog control laws.

In February, the government announced it would amend legislation so dog owners could be prosecuted if their animal attacks someone on private property.

Eighteen months after the attack, Chloe says she has been left so traumatised she is scared to go out in public and constantly feels like she's being judged.

She said: 'It's affected me in so many ways. I've become anxious around dogs, dog lovers and people I don't know.

'Even walking in public with no makeup on is a demanding task, I can't bring myself to do it.

'I dread sleeping at night in fear of having nightmares.

'I find it difficult to have relationships because I think the constant reminders and moods I go in over the intrusive thoughts will destroy them.

'My old friend and her family have blamed me and said it's my own fault because I was told it was the dog's chair, but it was a sofa, I didn't see anything wrong in sitting down.


'The family have not shown any remorse - I still see them near my home and they act like nothing has happened.

'That's why the Government needs to carry on trying to change the law on this.

'I fully support it, and knowing other people think they should be prosecuted has given me the confidence to speak out.

'It'[s happening too often now, and the attack on me and other attacks on young girls in the news show it can happen to people of any age.

'I will fight until the day I die for justice for people in the same boat as me.'

(Daily Mail - April 30, 2013)

1 comment:

  1. Chloe: I know it has been a long time since this happened to you. I just found your blog post and am so sorry that the law and community support you deserve has been so lacking. The fact that your "friends" do not take responsibility for their dog's actions just indicates their lack of training or regard for anyone's safety. If you had been a baby and the dog killed you, they would have said it was your fault. It is just the sort of people they are.
    I truly hope that you have begun to have some healing from this incident. Getting used to external scars is hard enough, but it is the emotional ones that cling for so long. I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete