Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pit bull attack victim shares her story

CONNECTICUT -- An 88-year-old woman who survived a brutal pitbull attack almost two weeks ago is sharing her frightening story with News 8.

Lena Poidomani's family said that it wasn't until recently she remembered being mauled by two pitbulls outside of her Waterbury home.  


Poidomani is now at the Cheshire House recovering, and sharing her memory of the attack with News 8 exclusively.

"To tell you the truth I've got awful pain in my leg, scratched my leg, it was terrible," said Poidomani. "I feel very depressed, very depressed."

Angelo Garafolo, a close friend, said it wasn't until this visit that she remembered she was taking out the garbage at her home, when two pitbulls escaped from a cage next door and attacked her.  The dogs were so aggressive, police had to shoot them both.

Poidomani doesn't remember the neighbors helping her during the attack.

"This dog bit my arm I said, 'I can't believe it out in my yard, bit my legs.' I can't walk, it's a very terrible thing that happened," she said.

She remembers falling down, and misses her yard very much.

"I can't believe it. I've got a nice place, a nice yard," she said.

Every day Poidomani would walk to the grocery store and to church. She will be saddened if she can't walk again, but appreciates what she does have.


"I've got a nice family, nice neighbors too, I can't complain," she said.

Her family and close friends along with Alderman Ernest Brunelli are pushing for stricter dangerous dog laws.

Poidomani will be recovering at the Cheshire House for a while.  Family and friends said they're just glad she's alive and recovering.

(WTNH - March 30, 2012)

Earlier: