Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Grandma attacked by dog on path

AUSTRALIA -- Dorothy Jacobsen and her 10-year-old maltese Snowy were recovering yesterday after being attacked by another dog, in the driveway of their Gympie home.

Apart from cuts and bruises Dorothy received during the attack, her dog Snowy needed staples in his neck to repair a tear after coming to her rescue.


Snowy also received a gash on his side and a bite to his bottom.

The attack happened mid-morning Monday as Mrs Jacobsen was about to set off on her daily walk with her dog.

"I was in my driveway about to step on the road to take Snowy for a walk," she said.

"This dog came and knocked me back and was on my chest.

"I thought it was going to go for my throat.

"Fortunately a council truck was going by and they stopped to help me and one of my neighbours came to help me out of the gutter."

Mrs Jacobsen wasn't sure what type of dog attacked her, only that it easily escaped its yard.

Apart from the physical pain both endured, Mrs Jacobsen said vet fees and money spent on a taxi, as she could not drive after the attack, have added to her suffering.

She may be 80 but Dorothy is as fit as someone her age can be.

She goes to the gym five times a week, does tai chi and walks Snowy each day.

"I've got to keep fit," she said.
"Until Snowy gets the staples out next Tuesday, I can't put a leash on him to walk.

"He was trying to protect me when he got attacked.

"I won't go walking without a stick now."

Gympie mayor Ron Dyne said the dog in question is a mini bull terrier and while "a lot of people came out" to help Dorothy, council's ongoing investigation involved talking to possible witnesses and getting in touch with Dorothy's family.

(Fraser Coast Chronicle - March 28, 2012)