Saturday, December 31, 2011

Girl Recovering After Being Attacked By Dogs


KENTUCKY -- A 10-year-old Louisville girl is lucky to be alive after an, incident with two neighborhood pit bulls.

Haley Glaab was rushed to Kosair Children's Hospital with several dog bites and the dogs were taken by Metro Animal Services.

Haley is healing. She has about 10 puncture wounds in one leg, two in the other and two bite marks on her wrist.


She and her family know it could have been much worse.

“They came out of nowhere and bit me and knocked me off my bike,” Haley said. “The white one kept on biting me, and the brown one came and tried to get me in the face and I blocked it and it bit me.”

Haley remembered what a teacher once did when she was attacked by a dog.

“I played dead,” she said. The dogs then left her alone.

“Her friend came in and said, ‘Haley just got attacked by a dog.’ So I run out the door,” said Haley’s mom, Maricca Glaab. “She was way down that road and I ran. I could see the blood from here.”

Clearly a pit bull type dog...

Maricca Glaab said Haley was screaming “Momma, momma, they bit me. They bit me.”

“There was no way we was going to make it. We couldn't outrun those two dogs,” Maricca Glaab said.

“And I just seen the truck and said, ‘Haley, get in the back of the truck. Get in the back of the truck. And she said, ‘I can't. My leg.’ So I get up in there and was pulling her up.”

This one looks more like a Beagle mix, though

Haley's uncle ran out and scared the dogs away.

“It's a scary thing to happen when your child gets attacked by two dogs and you don't know, you know, what to do to take that pain away,” Maricca Glaab said.

Haley’s mom said it was the first time she'd ever seen the dogs and she hopes it was the last.

“I think that they should be put down, just for the safety of my children and everyone else's children,” Maricca Glaab said.

What happens to the dogs is up to Metro Animal Services. The agency has the dogs under a mandatory 10-day quarantine while it investigates what happened.

MAS will then determine what's in the best interest of public safety.


Police initially responded to the incident after several 911 calls came in. They then notified MAS, which took possession of the dogs.

The dogs' owner is expected in court next month as part of the investigation.

(WLKY - Dec 29, 2011)