Saturday, November 26, 2011

Harrisonburg Police Officer Beats Injured Cat to Death

VIRGINIA -- A Harrisonburg resident says a cat's death was anything but quick and painless, after it was struck by a vehicle. Now, he wants police held responsible.

"Shocking," is how Wayne Meadows describes the way a Harrisonburg police officer euthanized a cat he rescued from the side of the road. He says the officer beat the cat to death with his night stick.


"I was a wreck at that point. I mean I was completely in shock. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what to say," Wayne says.

Wayne said he had to call police because local vets and animal services were closed since it was late at night on Friday, November 11th. He tried to comfort the cat until the officer arrived. They discussed what to do, and when the officer offered to euthanize the cat, using a night stick was the last thing Wayne expected.

"I went inside expecting a gun shot and then I heard it happening on my front porch. I heard at least 15-20 hits," Wayne says.

The officer removed the body, but he had to clean the rest.

"It was nasty to say the least. I was sick to my stomach the whole time doing it. I tried to wash it off as best as I could," Wayne says.

The officer told him to contact police because of damage to the house. There are stains and smashed siding around the porch. Wayne did contact police, but says they didn't get back to him. However, the department offered WHSV this statement saying they did receive the complaint.

Damage done by the officer as he beat the poor cat to death

"An internal investigation was conducted into this matter and appropriate action has been taken internally. In addition, the department continues to review the current procedures in handling animal complaints is to determine if any changes or modifications need to be made."

Wayne says he was so shocked to act at the time, but hopes this never happens again.

"The only thing I wished I had done differently is as soon as I saw that nightstick I would've ran out and stopped him. That's what I wished I would have done," Wayne says.

Harrisonburg police did not say whether or not they contacted Wayne after the fact. He says he has tried several times to complain, and as of Monday night, he has not heard back.
VIRGINIA CRUELTY TO ANIMALS § 3.2-6570
Any person who: willfully inflicts inhumane injury or pain... or cruelly or unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates, or kills any animal, whether belonging to himself or another... deprives any animal of emergency veterinary treatment... willfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal... causes any of the above things, or being the owner of such animal permits such acts to be done by another... is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(WHSV - Nov 22, 2011)