Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pet dog savaged in Weymouth

UNITED KINGDOM -- A dog owner is calling for action on ‘danger dogs’ after her pet Jack Russell was savaged by a Bull Mastiff.

Retired Heather Burridge desperately tried to save her pet as she watched it being savagely attacked by another dog in Weymouth.


She said she thought her 18-month-old Jack Russell named Ruby was going to die after a Bull Mastiff took her pet’s entire head in its mouth.

It is the latest in a series of attacks by out-of-control dogs in and around Weymouth and Portland.

The brutal attack, which took place at Jordan Hill near Bowleaze Cove, has left Ruby with a five-inch bite on her neck, injuries to her head and damage to one of her eyes.

Mrs Burridge, of Puddledock Lane, was walking Ruby with a group of friends when the attack happened.

She said: “All of a sudden there was a big dog, which we think was a Bull Mastiff, running towards us. It saw my little Jack Russell and it shot forward like a bullet and took her by the throat.

“Three of us were desperately trying to break her free. I even poked the dog’s eyes and tried to get my hand in its mouth but it wouldn’t let go.

“I saw my dog’s eyes filling up with blood, at which point I was absolutely frantic. “I thought I was watching my little dog die in front of my very eyes.

“But then my friend, Debbie Eades, managed to get my dog free – she saved her life.”

 She said: “I think these dogs should be permanently muzzled at the minimum. If the owner isn’t responsible enough to do that then I think the dog should be taken away and put down.”

Mrs Burridge added that she would urge other dog owners to be cautious when out walking their dog.

She said: “This has happened to so many people and it is terrible that there are so many owners who cannot control their dogs. People should be aware of this – I want to warn everyone in the area that this is happening.”

Mrs Burridge took Ruby to Fielding and Cumber Veterinary Surgeons in Chickerell where she was operated on immediately for the puncture wounds to the head and neck and her eye injury.

(Daily Echo - July 27, 2010)