Friday, March 27, 2009

Mississippi: Monroe County Justice Court Judge Kevin Crook says leaving a horse tied up to die isn't animal cruelty; dismisses charge against school board president Michael Jackson

MISSISSIPPI -- The president of the Aberdeen school board was found not guilty last week on a charge of animal cruelty.

During a hearing held March 17, Monroe County Justice Court Judge Kevin Crook, determined School Board President Michael Jackson had not practiced animal cruelty when a horse died while under his care. Jackson was arrested on the charges in January.

The horse belonged to Nettleton Ward 3 Alderman Willie Brandon, who was studding the horse with Jackson''s, according to Justice Court Clerk Carolyn Carter.

After being told repeatedly by Jackson not to worry, Brandon took it upon himself to check on his horse and went to Jackson's pasture to check on the horse, he found it dead and filed the animal cruelty charges.

“I went to Mr. Jackson’s to check on my horse,” Brandon said. “When I arrived, I saw the horse on the ground. Mr. Jackson kept assuring me that everything was OK and that there was nothing to worry about. When I walked closer to the horse, I noticed it was chained to a pole with a short chain and the chain was wrapped around its neck and mouth. I saw fluids coming out of the horse and I knew that it was dead.” -- Willie Brandon

If you restrained your child in such a manner and left the child unattended and you came back and found the child dead, you didn't INTENTIONALLY cause the child's death but you caused the child's death by your negligent actions. The same for this poor horse. Shame on Monroe County Justice Court Judge Kevin Crook.

(Columbus Dispatch - March 26, 2009)

Earlier: